Registering a vehicle imported from Spain

When buying a Spanish vehicle, questions about its registration are recurrent. But there is no need to be afraid of a Spanish import! We explain you step by step the steps to follow. Then, it's up to you to get the best deals. par TeamBenzin

For the steps to follow, the original documents of the vehicle will be required. In this case, as far as Spain is concerned, the "ficha tecnica" and "el permiso de circulacion" will be required. "The "licencia de circulacion". identifies the owner of the vehicle and the "technical ficha" reference the technical controls performed on the vehicle.

permiso de circulacion

Here are the steps to follow before continuing with the application for registration of your vehicle imported from Spain on the site of ANTS or through our Online registration service.

A Quitus Fiscal : You will have to go and collect it from the tax office in your town. To get it back, you will need to present an ID, a proof of residence of less than 3 months, the purchase invoice of the vehicle and the vehicle registration (which corresponds to the Spanish registration certificate) and la ficha technique. In the case of a used vehicle, the certificate of transfer can be used as a purchase invoice.

The European Certificate of Conformity or COC : This confirms that your vehicle complies with European standards and will be able to circulate freely in Europe. To obtain it, you must contact the parent company, i.e. the manufacturer of the brand of your vehicle. It is also possible to order it online on the euroconformity website (click here) for vehicles from 1996 onwards. There is a fee for this procedure and the amount depends on the make of the vehicle.

certificat de conformité

Provisional registration : This is optional if you do not intend to drive your vehicle while waiting for the final registration certificate. The provisional registration certificate is valid for 4 months. For this you will need an identity document as well as a proof of residence of less than 3 months, the purchase invoice of the vehicle, the "permiso de circulacion" and of course the tax receipt and the application for the registration certificate. If the vehicle has been purchased from a professional, the latter will provide you with this temporary registration.

This can be done via our Online registration service

Technical control : This part is mandatory for vehicles older than 4 years. Since May 1, 2014, it is possible to import a vehicle registered in a country of the European Union with a technical inspection less than 6 months old from the country of origin. On the other hand, for your information, a technical inspection performed abroad for a vehicle registered in France is not valid.

ficha tecnica

Once you have completed these steps, all you have to do is submit your file on the ANTS (click here) or use our Online registration service to be able to register your Spanish vehicle in France.

Summary of the documents required for your final registration:

- Quitus Fiscal

- The certificate of transfer : click here

- The purchase invoice if your vehicle was purchased from a professional

- El permiso de circulacion which is equivalent to the registration certificate in Spain

- Your identity card

- A copy of your driver's license

- Proof of address less than 3 months old

- A certificate of insurance

- The COC (certificate of conformity)

After these steps are completed and your final French plates are received and installed, all you have to do is enjoy your newly imported vehicle. Don't forget, Spain is full of good deals! This is especially true for youngtimers, who have enjoyed a dry climate all their lives. So, if you are "comfortable" with the administrative procedures and you like to travel, it might be time to take the plunge.